Off with the old, on with the new

This is the closest thing you'll get from me to a New Year's resolution post.


On January 1st this year, my church had a wee quiet service where for once I was not out of place colouring. The lady leading the reflection pointed us to Ephesians 4, which talks about putting our old habits and replacing them with new. The aim was to think about what attitudes God might be asking us to put down and what He might want us to pick up in the new year.

To illustrate this, two things happened. Firstly, we wrote the things we wanted to take off on a post-it, stuck it to something we were wearing, and then physically took that item off. (The downside to this is that I got a bit cold, to say nothing of the odd feeling of guilt when I put my jumper back on again later, minus the post-it.)

There were two things in particular she suggested that we might need to take off: fear and laziness. I didn't need to think about fear; that's one I already knew needed to go. I thought about the second one and decided I wasn't lazy, because if I think something matters, I'm prepared to put in whatever I've got. I fall down at the point where I'm not sure it's worthwhile, and then I can't be bothered to try, and nothing changes. Instead of laziness, then, I added lethargy to my post-it.

Secondly, we were given a sheet of paper doll clothes; on these we were to write the things we were picking up. Mine is below, and I've stuck it in my journal as well:



I thought about which bits of clothing went with which word. I like that they're outdoorsy clothes, that I can imagine myself layering them up to go out and face the day.

Hope: underlying the rest, sits close to my skin and makes me comfortable. It doesn't need to be strong, it just needs to be there.

Trust: is there to protect the hope, keep it warm. Because sometimes there seems to be no reason to hope, but God still says there is, and He ought to know; and because I trust Him hope stays alive.

Courage: is the bit on the outside, facing the world. Go out without a jacket and the wind will run through you, and the other things you're wearing will get soggy. But courage is able to stand against the elements and even enjoy the storm.

Perseverance: I picked the trousers for this because they look really sturdy, like they'll last a long time. Perseverance is simple; it's just about keeping going regardless of what else is going on.

Willingness: Ephesians 4 talks about 'feet fitted with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace'. This one is a particularly big deal for me right now, because it directly counteracts the lethargy that I felt the need to put off. It says 'this might not work, but then again it might... I'll try it'. Unlike perseverance, which sometimes has to be a bit pigheaded to hold you to task, willingness is gentle, almost undemanding, and sweetly brushes aside barriers like self-doubt and cynicism.



It was an interesting reflection, and one that seemed worth putting down my colouring book to engage with. I didn't really expect it to have a big impact. And yet in two weeks, I have found myself calling on these attitudes time and again.

'I'm too tired to clean up.' Willingness, little one.

'I'm losing this battle.' Courage.

'I'd rather not be happy today.' Jesus offers you joy; be willing to accept it.

 'I've tried a similar solution and it didn't work.' Willingness, dove.

'Last time I tried this it hurt.' Courage, dear heart.

 'It's easier to push this aside.' Be willing.

'Ow.' Take courage again.


It's just been those two, really, on repeat. Courage. Willingness. Together they take on anything. Just as six months ago I was rehearsing trust in an ocean of uncertainty, which gave me the freedom to rest, today I am rehearsing courage and willingness, which give me the freedom to try again.


So if you see me this year and you can see that I'm worn, tell me to trust and to rest. But if you see that I'm shying from the things I can do, remind me:

hope - there is a way through that is beautiful
trust - you aren't on your own
persevere - if it's not around this corner, it might be the next one
take courage - He's given you all you need to stand
be willing - and the journey can be a joyful one


I feel that this is the moment for Philippa Hanna to remind us what adventure is meant to feel like:


Comments

Popular Posts