What She Ate, by Laura Shapiro

Recently I've gotten into a library virtuous cycle, which happens to me once in a while. It starts with a visit to the local library, perhaps with a specific goal or possibly just because I'm in the area. Then I'll finish a book or it will become overdue, and I have to visit the library to return it. While I'm there, I pick up another book, and so forth, ad infinitum (or ad returning a book when the library isn't open). This time I've combined it with a second hand bookshop cycle, at a local shop where books come in at 20p a piece, which I figure is just like getting a library book but paying the late return fee in advance.

All this to say that I have read an impressive number of books recently, many of which I would highly recommend. I have a history of wrting uber-long reviews and not finishing them, so I'm trying out writing some short-and-sharp reviews, to share a little of my book reading joy with the world.

Starting here...

Laura Shapiro is a food writer who has deviated away from writing mainly about people who work in the food industry, to writing about people who are not especially thought of in connection with food. Her premise is that you can learn a lot about someone by exploring their relationship with food, and I can confirm she is right: I knew very little about any of the 6 historical women she has chosen to look at in this book, and I now feel more than able to talk intelligently about them. Indeed, I found the stories served first to pique my interest, painting a fascinating picture of each character, then satisfy said interest with a detailed account.

And the women she has chosen to look at are an impressive range: Dorothy Wordsworth, sister of the great poet; Hitler's girlfriend Eva Braun; Helen Gurley Brown, who created a new brand of magazine in her time as editor of Cosmo; Eleanor Roosevelt, politician and first lady; comfortably English author Barbara Pym, and scullery made cum self-made caterer Rosa Lewis. The balance is perfect between those who relished food, and those who avoided it; those who could cook and those who couldn't; those who made their own name and those who stood in the shadow of their male counterparts; and finally between those you admire or aspire to be and those you very much don't.

The book itself is a gentle and enjoyable read, the sort of thing that I enjoy picking up for a few minutes when I get home from work, because it will be relaxing and interesting without being so gripping that I struggle to put it down again. I discovered some fascinating characters, and got a glimpse into how food worked at different points of history. It was the sort of thing that constantly had me thinking 'so and so would enjoy this', and indeed, I have recommended it to several and recommend it also to you, dear reader.

Comments

Popular Posts