Seven runs in seven days

Day 1 - December 31st, 2016

Hi.

It might seem an odd thing to do with the 2nd hour of 2017 (the first hour I spent playing an odd but fun game called Exploding Kittens), but I am now about to blog about running. If you wonder what my reasoning is in doing this now, there isn't really any; I'm blogging at this time because we had a New Year's party so I wasn't free to do it earlier.

Background: I taught myself to like running by only running when I liked; it took a couple years, but it genuinely worked. I ran a 10k last summer, the furthest I'd ever done, and then very gradually my high ambitions petered down to one run a week, which a whirl of sore throats brought to an untimely end (one throat, more than one soreness episode, if you're confused).

Well, I realised that what originally brought me up to a regular running schedule was having a training plan I had to stick to, so I didn't think about whether I should go running, I just went. Once the training schedule was over, the reasons not to run began to creep in: busyness, cold weather, growing interest in volcanoes. In fact, it's the little, inconsequential things that hold me back most, like not being able to find my keys.

So I decided to take the bull by the horns and just go. 7 runs, 7 days; no excuses, no hesitations, no stipulations. If I only go for five minutes, at least I'll know where my running shoes are and whether I need a hoodie in this weather. And who knows, I might just discover I've picked the right moment quite by accident and end up running for two hours, and loving it.

Yesterday was meant to be the first day; it didn't happen. My resolve deepened. Today would be the day.

When I reached home at 6 pm after a day out, I was tired. The several things I had done already included cycling to the other side of town in the rain, a long country walk with friends, and an hour's walk back from the shops pushing a laden bike. It was cold. I already had two different sets of blisters from different shoes. In addition, I had Many Things to do before 7.30 when the New Year's party mentioned in paragraph 2 was due to begin. My last, incredibly short, run left me sore for a week so I might have been excused for being hesitant. On top of all this, my phone had just shuddered to a death by empty battery so I couldn't record my greatness in digital format, and my running shorts had performed a neat disappearing trick.

But you can't ignore fate. And fate, in the form of my own innate stubborness, intervened. By dint of searching my shorts were rediscovered, and I gritted my teeth and let it be known in no uncertain terms to my wavering inner self that it is still possible to run without a little machine to tell you how far you've gone.

Accordingly, I left the house at 6.33 pm (by my radio alarm clock, which sets itself automatically to 15 minutes fast, approximately, and can't be changed). I ran round the block, returning to a clock stating 6.40pm, so I reckon I ran a good 6 minutes. As befits a returning conqueror, I duly treated myself to a hot shower and a pizza and proceeded to enjoy the festivities marking the end of 2016.

This is my first ever running post. I plan to come back every day, this week, and update the post with this week's happenings. Please do check in! But if I don't come back to update it, know this: rain or shine, in sickness or in health, busy or not busy, this week I Will Run Again.


Day 2 - January 1st, 2017

My phone, you'll be pleased to hear, was charged today, and Running App is pleased to report the following:
 Distance: 1.10 miles. Time: 12 minutes. Pace: 10.55 minutes/mile.

The first day of the year didn't go quite as planned, because it unfortunately welcomed the first short dip into the panic pit of the year. I was hoping to get a bit further into 2017 first - oh well....

But let nothing get in the way of running! The late afternoon run became an evening run, and I ventured out despite the light rain, with a bike light in my hair (not because I think it looks cool).

And frankly, writing the next day, that's about all I remember of it. Not much exciting happens on a ten minute run in a residential area.

I think it was about an hour after I got back that housemate Simon pointed out the light in my hair was still flashing.


Day 3 -  January 2nd, 2017

 Distance: 2.01 miles. Time: 21.14 minutes. Pace: 10.34 min/mile. 

The plan was an early run today. Before I go on to say that I didn't get out till nearly one, let me just be clear that my plans, as a rule, include a good deal of flexibility. In this instance, having nudged myself to a sitting position an hour after my alarm went off, I ended up doing some unplanned colouring and then some accidental work; in spite of which, I hit my next planned task only ten minutes off 10am, dressed and breakfasted and dishes done.* Facebook contributing, I finally left the house minutes before 1pm.

It is absolutely the perfect day for a run. The temperature is just above freezing, and I slide slightly on one little patch of ice, and pay more attention from there on. The sun is out, the sky is brilliant blue, and I laugh at the people walking in thick winter coats because running keeps you warm and my legs are out getting their share of Vitamin D. Perhaps it'll rescue them from their usual deathly white winter glow.

It's tough going - I'm determined to do a little more than the 'I-ran-round-the-block' of the last couple days. I've picked the lovely 2-mile riverside loop that in August was a short run, in October was a sort of standard run; today it feels really long, and I'm focusing so hard on keeping going that I don't really pay attention to the scenery. Fortunately the sibling support squad is only a text away, and, well, the speed I go at, running is hardly an impediment to texting. I do speed up a little at the top of the hill, because I know Running App is about to tell me my distance and I'd like it to be encouraging. I speed up again at the 'Slow Down' sign on the corner (in my defense, I think it's intended for car drivers). In spite of this, it's hardly surprising I don't beat any records after a couple of months curled up on the couch.

On the way home I meet one of the friendly neighbourhood cats. I think it's Flumpf, but I'm not sure - his fur is all pouffy as though he's just been blowdried. Perhaps he has.

Now I'm curled up on the couch with the post-run munchies. Might be time for a second lunch.


*Since this was my tax return and due fairly soon, it took precedence over other plans. And since I am apparently due a chunk of money back, this also turned out to be one of the most lucrative hours' work I have ever put in.

Day 4 - January 3rd, 2017

Running App has let me down today. Looking back at the little map it shows me of where I've supposedly been, I can see a whole lovely loop that I definitely didn't run; so no stats for you today, except the time, 10:07 minutes. Shortish, because yesterday was longish, and when you haven't run for a while it don't take much to take it out of you. I want to get to the end of the week back into running, rather than back out of it because I've pushed too hard at the start.

Anyway, this was the first day I felt like I couldn't really be bothered. First day back at work and I'd made the mistake of wearing new boots, and walking to work in them didn't help much with the slightly sore shins from yesterday's run. This is why sometimes it helps to have made the decision in advance; decisions take a little bit of effort to unmake, so a little bit of lethargy can actually help you stick with the original plan. I did stick with the plan, but it was gone 8pm by that point. There's the late evening run to add to my times-of-day list. It was probably an unremarkable 10 minutes out there, because that's really all I remember.

Day 5 - January 4th, 2017

Today's is a slightly different challenge, because I have circuits - basically racing the clock round the gym switching activities every minute - at 5.30pm. There's work in the morning and tasks to do in the afternoon and people coming round in the evening, so I put my run in the most convenient place: when I'm out and wearing sports attire already, for circuits. Running feels rather different when you've just put your whole body through a serious of fairly intense strengthening exercises. It's like starting near the end of a long run, already warmed up but also already tired out. Short and slower run, then, today, back to the 'round the block' version (although I go the other way round from usual, just because I can). Running App seems back on form, so I give you the following:


 Distance: 0.66 miles. Time: 7.25 minutes. Pace: 11.17 min/mile.

Day 6 - January 5th, 2017

Today I made a risky decision: since the aim is 7 runs in 7 days, rather than a run a day for 7 days, I thought I'd leave off running today - intentionally - and run twice tomorrow instead. Who knows if I'll manage it, I wondered. Might this be the moment I manage the before-work run which is something I've never achieved in my (albeit fairly short) running career? Tomorrow, I thought; tomorrow I will return to this post, victorious probably but laughing at my own foolishness in making the task more complicated for myself.

(Okay, I just reread that - when did a 6-minute run become such a big deal? Isn't that what every child does every day in the playground, to say nothing of a large proportion of grownups in suits or heels who have a specific bus to catch?
 Oh wait. It was something to do wiith epic effect, so the next bit would have more punch).

Little did I foresee that this decision would have negative consequences long before the sun began to consider creeping over the horizon.

See, it turns out that exercise is a bit of a drug. Specifically, it is like alcohol, in that the high is followed by a bit of a comedown, and there is no better antidote to the exercise-hangover than a bit more exercise. All day I've been enjoying the extra energy that comes with being more active; the long uphill stretch on my bike that my body brushes off today as insignificant compared to what it did yesterday, the four hours solid self-sustained, focused work on an afternoon that usually sees me struggling to stay awake. Everything seems perfect - until I try to sleep.

Then suddenly I realise that I haven't had my dose today. My muscles are tired and clogged with carbon dioxide or something equally poisonous, and, unlike every other day this week, I haven't been on another run to pump the blood around my body and clear all that nasty trash away. Worse, yesterday's exercise included circuits - specifically designed so that every muscle in my body is involved rather than just the running set. It's not pain that's the problem, but tension, every nerve ready to spring into action; and the other sort of nerves, the emotional ones, gladly jump in to join the party, while my mind, the only bit of me to acknowledge the exhaustion, struggles to keep up with the everything else.

And that, dear friends, is why I am writing a blog post at a quarter past one in the morning, on a work night.

I wonder if there's a solution - or is induced exhaustion the only way down from an exercise high?

It's academic. It's too late and cold to convince myself that a proper run is a good idea, but a quick cardio workout can be done easily enough in the middle of the night without leaving your room. And having followed that up with lovely smelling eucalyptus oil and a blog post, perhaps sleeping could actually be an option.

Day 7 - January 6th, 2017

You may not be surprised to hear that I didn't manage two runs today. However, it wasn't really because I hadn't slept that much, and much more because my third cold of the winter, which had been peeking over the parapets of my immune system for a couple days, has hit with style.

Last year I didn't get any colds. 

Anyway....

Book blogger housemate sensibly suggested that when suffering from a cold is not the ideal time for going running, especially since it was rainy. Not wanting to cause more damage than necessary, I kept my run to a minimum, basically just an excuse for a lovely steamy shower to smoke the germs out of my throat. My phone stayed firmly in my pocket since the GPS likes to mess up when it gets wet, and Running App looks to have managed a fairly good approximation of my route. Here it is then, the shortest run of the seven:

 Distance: 0.38 miles. Time: 4.04 minutes. Pace: 10.35 min/mile. 

Wait! I hear you cry. It can't be the shortest run of the seven, because you've only done six. You are right, of course; but rather than admit defeat, I have decided to give the rules a little bit of a bend. Secretly, all week, I've been thinking about how lovely it is to go for a long run on a Saturday morning, how it seems to make the rest of the day beautiful, and I've wondered if I can just go ahead and run tomorrow morning. Of course, there's no-one stopping from running again the day after my 7-day challenge ends; but the sensible bit of my mind has continued reminding me that it's important to have rest days when you're training. Well, this rule-bend provides me with the perfect excuse for a Saturday morning run.

7 runs in 7 days; but I never said the 7 days had to be calendar dates. My first run, you'll remember, was after 6pm last Saturday; so anything I do before 6pm tomorrow counts as being within 7 days of the start of the challenge. Or I could take a Jewish approach, and say that the day starts at sundown; so as long as I run in daylight tomorrow, I've run on the last of the 7 days. Either rule-bend will do for me; I'm not picky.

With all of which, I conclude that I should probably get an early night; my cold and my prospective morning run both mean that I would do well to get some sleep. It's too late to be in bed early - long gone the time when I could have sqeezed a last little run of the week in before midnight. But I'm looking forward to sleep, very much.

Incidentally, Running App has sent me an e-mail saying well done for completing more runs in one week than ever before. It's counted 5, since Sunday presumably. I wonder if I'll get another such e-mail tomorrow when an excitable computer system registers that I've done 6 runs?

Bonus day - January 7th, 2017

I'm meant to be asleep right now, but it seems unfair on my (albeit currently nonexistent) readership to keep you in suspense. Rest assured, my final run is complete. Allowing for the rule twisting, I have successfully completed my running challenge!

 Distance: 0.86 miles. Time: 9.37 minutes. Pace: 11.10 min/mile.   
 
I headed out along the 2-mile loop that I already did on Day 3. Unfortunately having a cold I started to feel sick before I got halfway, and I have learnt the hard way that it's not worth making myself worse at that point (of the illness, not of running. If I feel slightly nauseous just from running it's completely worth it to push through). So it was a fairly short run again. But the aim wasn't to go far; the aim was just to get out, in spite of the odds. And that, I managed.

When I got home I put all my running gear in the laundry basket. Not straight in the wash, as I would have if I'd needed it again really soon. It was a nice feeling. I'm not aiming to leave it long, though; I like running, my body loves it and my mood goes joyriding on a cloud of ATP (that's the hormone that gives you energy, for any non-biologists out there. For any biologists, apologies for probably oversimplifying things massively).

So there's an end to my first, and possibly last, running post. It's certainly long enough.

tl;dr: I ran lots, it made me happy, I'm excited to run again soon!

Comments

Popular Posts